Tips For When You Are Moving House By Yourself
Moving house can be highly stressful and frustrating, especially if you have to do it all by yourself. Fortunately, you will have various options regarding who can help you move in the future. However, due to some constraints like financial issues, lack of time and others, there might be a situation where you will have to move by yourself.
Need help saving money for a move? Here are some tips you may find useful.
In this article, we will discuss the things that you should remember when moving house by yourself. Check out the following points:
Packing For The Big Move
Let’s start with the basics, like packing your stuff! How well are you going to pack? This might not be an essential issue if this is just a temporary move; however, it can be extremely frustrating and tiring if you have to do all the work alone. Below, you will find some tips on how to pack properly for a big move.
Tips To Remember When Packing For A House Move
- Make sure you pack an essentials box: this should include all the items you will need on the first day of your move, like toiletries, a change of clothes, snacks and drinks.
- Pack heavier items on the bottom and lighter ones on top. This will help keep your boxes from toppling over.
- If you do not have suitcases or luggage to put your clothes in, make sure to use proper wardrobe boxes that can keep your clothes clean and safe.
- Make sure you have a variety of boxes: these can be found in different sizes, so make sure to choose the appropriate ones. This will help you pack better and save some time when unpacking. Not quite sure where to find moving boxes and other packing materials? Check this out!
- Make sure to wrap fragile items with a lot of bubble wrap or packing paper to ensure they don’t get damaged. For items with lightbulbs such as lamps and ceiling fans, make sure to take out the lightbulbs, wrap them in bubble wrap, and then put them in a separate box to ensure they do not break in transit.
- Don’t forget to pack important documents like your passport, driver’s license and birth certificate in a safe place.
Need help packing your bathroom? Here’s a Guide On Packing Up Your Bathroom For A House Move.
The next step is to stay organised when moving house. Here are some things you can do to make sure you stay organised for the move:
- Label boxes with their destination room: this will make unpacking much easier later on and enable the movers to place everything in its proper location without any hassle.
- Clear out rooms that will not be used in the near future as this will make packing and moving much easier, as you will not have to deal with unnecessary clutter. Pack a bag for your first night’s stay in the new house: this should include items like toiletries, a change of clothes and snacks/drinks.
- Create an inventory list of all your belongings and keep it in a safe place: this will come in handy if you need to make an insurance claim for any damaged items.
Doing The Heavy Lifting
Now that your boxes are packed, it’s time to start moving and loading them into the moving truck! This can be extremely daunting and exhausting if you’re doing it all yourself. Here are some tips to help make the process a little bit easier:
- Don’t try to do all the heavy lifting in one or two trips from your home to storage or moving van. You should spread it out over a couple of days to avoid getting too exhausted.
- If possible, limit yourself with how many boxes you take at once when going up or downstairs. This will help avoid any accidents.
- Use moving equipment like trollies or moving dollies to move your boxes around. This will make the process a lot easier and less tiring.
Getting Outside Help With The Move
While most boxes will be easy to transport with a trolley or dolly and proper lifting techniques, many furniture pieces will still require assistance. This is where outside help can come in handy, as they will assist you with intricate pieces of furniture without any hassle.
So, try to find someone to help you with the move if possible. If not, you may want to hire a professional moving company to help you out. This will help you save money, time, and energy during the move.
If you think a removal company is too expensive, then why not try a man and van service provider instead? This can be a more cost-effective option, and you will still get the help you need with moving your belongings. Here are more ways to Determine If You Need A Man And Van or A Removals Company.
Most man and van companies offer competitive rates for removals, so you should be able to find a service that fits your budget. Moreover, you will find that these companies are very reliable and will help make your move go as smoothly as possible. Read more about man and van prices here.
Moving into a new house can be very stressful, especially when doing it all alone. However, there are many things that you can do to ensure a successful house move. So, start preparing for your move as early as possible!