How Much Does A Man and Van Removal Company Cost? Average Removal Costs in 2023
Moving is a challenging task. From planning and organising the logistics of it all, to getting down and dirty while packing, hauling, and transporting your belongings, you will find yourself overwhelmed, exhausted, and sometimes even frustrated. Fortunately, you can always turn to a man and van or a removal company for help!
You may be wondering, “But, how much do man and van removal companies actually cost?” Well, you’ve come to the right place!
In this article, we will break down the most common man and van price determinants, give you tips on saving on house removal costs, and help you decide if man and van movers are the best option for you!
What’s A Man and Van Removal Company?
A removal company provides small and large relocation services to those who are moving house or office. Often, they offer an all-inclusive moving service, which means they will handle your belongings throughout the moving process. In such instances, a man and van removals company will handle:
- Assembly and disassembly of furniture
- Packing and unpacking
- Loading and unloading
- Furniture arrangement and assembly
- Removal storage
Moreover, man and van companies are also available for tasks such as:
- Rubbish clearance
- Single item transfers
- Student moves
- Large item deliveries
- Furniture removals.
If you are planning on moving to London, or even if you are moving within the city, then you will need to find a good and affordable man and van moving company to help you with your move. Many different companies can offer you their services, but it is important that you take the time to find one that is right for you and your needs.
What Determines Removal Costs?
If you are considering hiring a moving company for the move to your new home or office, it’s best to know the factors that affect removals prices.
The Distance of the Move (Transportation fees)
Some removal jobs will require removal companies to travel farther than others. Hence, the distance between your old place and your new home will be one of the base factors to be considered when computing your total removal costs.
Naturally, the farther the distance is, the costlier it will be. This is the case due to the following reasons:
- Driving to a faraway place will require more fuel.
- The move’s distance directly affects the job’s length and the number of hours the crew will be working. (Overtime costs)
- You must pay a tariff or toll fees for the moving truck or van.
If you are moving to a distant location, you have to be prepared to shell out a bit more. It is, however, also important to note that most removal companies will charge you for a two-hour minimum for local removals jobs.
The Volume of Items You Plan on Moving
The number of items you intend on transporting will play a factor in your total removal costs. Some removal companies will determine the volume of items you will be moving with the size of your house or the number of rooms you have.
However, every moving job is different, so some movers may not be able to accurately determine your removal costs based on the size of your home alone. You may, for example, be a minimalist living in a 4-bedroom house or a hoarder living in a 1-bedroom home. Hence, you must provide your removal company with an accurate idea of how much items they will have to move.
This will also help your removal company determine how many people they will need on the job and how much time they will need to get you moved into your new home.
The Complexity of the Move
The ease and accessibility of your old and new properties will also influence the overall removal costs. This is because your removal company may need a special vehicle or additional equipment to complete your move. If you require moving just within London, our local removals can give you sample quotes. Moreover, if you are moving from London going to another region, you might want to check out our partner removals in Manchester, Bristol, and many more.
Narrow doorways, numerous flights of stairs, maze-like hallways, and uneven flooring will also play a part in the cost of your removals job. Fragile items (i.e. washing machines, pianos, mirrored items, etc.), large furniture, and items that need special attention are also considered when determining the complexity of your move.
Schedule of the Move
The cost of moving is directly affected by the schedule of your move. Yes, you read that right! House removals cost differ depending on when you choose to do it. To make sure you get the best price possible, do not schedule your moving day during the following:
- End of the month
- Winter season (although this is one of the least popular seasons to move, weather conditions will affect removal costs as well)
Additional Services Availed
Will you require furniture dismantling and reassembly? How about packing and unpacking? Will you need help arranging everything in your new place? Do you need an extra set of hands? Are you availing of removal storage services?
Some of these services may or may not already be factored into your total removals costs. So, be sure to find out which services are already part of the package, and for which services you will need to pay extra.
Estimated Removal Costs
Below is an estimated list of average removal costs based on the factors mentioned above.
Removal Costs Based On Number of Bedrooms
- 1-Bedroom House – £300 to £650
- 2-Bedroom House – £500 to £750
- 3-Bedroom House – £800 to £950
- 4-Bedroom House – £900 to £1000
- 5-Bedroom House (or more) – £1160 to £1200+++
For free estimate on removal costs, you may use our platform and be able to compare removal companies Brighton, Liverpool, Birmingham, and Cardiff! Find the best one to hire for your house move needs with our advanced search filter tool.
Removal Costs Based On Distance
There are two ways removal costs are computed based on distance:
- £20 to £25 per mile, plus a small fee per hour,
- Roughly £1 to £1.50 per mile
Additional Services On Top Of Removal Costs
- Extra Helper – £20 to £30/per hour
- Packing Services – £150 to £400 depending on the volume of items
- Packing Material Acquisition – £90 to £100
- Dismantling and Disassembly of Furniture – £125 to £200
- Cleaning – £15 to £20
- Removal Storage – £30/100sqm. per week
How Can I Find Cheap Removal Costs?
While the factors mentioned above can significantly affect your overall removal costs, it is still vital for you to find the removal company that best suits your removal needs. So, aside from opting out of some additional services, here are some ways you can minimise your removal costs:
– Declutter your belongings and get rid of the things you no longer need to minimise the volume of items you’ll be moving.
– Only avail of packing services for items that are difficult to move.
– Ask your friends and family for help in moving your stuff, but make sure they are not getting in the way of your removal company.
– Source for free moving boxes.
– Use alternative packing materials instead of purchasing wrapping paper or bubble wrap from your moving company.
– Schedule your move off-season.
– Do not hesitate to ask for a discount! Moving is already costly, so even a small discount would be a big help!
– Lastly, have more than one removal company in the running. Compare your options to find the best one. You may use comparison sites like WhatManAndVan to make the task easier for you.
Insurance and Liability: Protecting Your Valued Possessions
Relocating, especially within the UK, often brings with it a whirlwind of emotions. Among the excitement and anticipation, there’s an underlying concern for homeowners: the safety and protection of their cherished possessions. From invaluable antiques to essential electronics, ensuring they reach the new property without a scratch is paramount. This is where removals insurance becomes a lifeline.
Most reputable removal firms in the UK offer some form of insurance to cover your possessions during transit. However, the depth and type of coverage can vary widely. Here’s a comprehensive guide to help you navigate the intricate world of removals insurance:
- Standard Transit Insurance: Almost every removal service provides this as a foundational part of their package. It primarily covers your goods while in transit, offering protection against unforeseen events like accidents, theft, or damage due to external factors.
- Full Value Protection: A step above the standard, some removal companies offer this premium level of insurance. It promises to cover the full value of any item that’s damaged or lost during the move. However, this might come with additional charges, so it’s essential to weigh the costs against the potential benefits.
- Waiver Options: Some firms provide homeowners the option to waive the default insurance, especially if they have their own property insurance that covers relocations. It’s crucial to check with your insurance provider first, ensuring you’re not leaving any gaps in protection.
- Specialty Insurance: For those unique, invaluable items like antiques, artwork, or high-end electronics, consider specialty insurance. This ensures that these prized possessions receive the specialized care and protection they deserve.
Always make it a point to read the fine print, ask probing questions, and understand the terms, any potential deductibles, and the claims process. After all, having peace of mind during a move is invaluable.
Tips for a Smooth Move: Expert Advice for a Stress-Free Relocation
Moving homes, whether it’s across the country or just to a different area in the UK, can be a significant source of stress. However, with meticulous planning, informed decisions, and the right advice, you can ensure a seamless transition. Here’s an exhaustive guide to help:
- Research and Reviews: Before settling on a removal firm, undertake comprehensive research. Delve into online reviews, ask friends and family for recommendations, and ensure the firm has a sterling reputation in your area.
- Packing Costs and Materials: While many removal services might offer packing boxes and materials as part of their package, others might levy additional charges. Always inquire in advance. If you’re working on a tight budget, consider sourcing packing materials yourself or looking for firms that offer discounts on these.
- Avoid Peak Times: Timing is everything. Moving during school holidays, weekends, or at the end of the month can be pricier due to heightened demand. If your schedule allows, choose off-peak times to save money and avoid the rush.
- Clear Communication: Maintain open lines of communication with your removal team. Inform them of any special requirements, like handling delicate antiques, navigating narrow bridges, or dealing with a lift in a flat.
- Prepare for Delays: In the world of removals, delays, though unwanted, are sometimes inevitable. This could be due to unforeseen traffic, adverse weather conditions, or last-minute cancellations. Always have a contingency plan in place.
Remember, preparation is the cornerstone of a successful move. The more detailed information you provide to your removal firm, the better equipped they’ll be to assist you seamlessly.
Environmental Considerations: Green Moving in the UK
As the world becomes more environmentally conscious, many homeowners in the UK are seeking eco-friendly alternatives for every aspect of their lives, including moving. Here are some tips to ensure your move is as green as possible:
- Sustainable Packing: Opt for recyclable or reusable packing boxes and materials. Some removal firms even offer discounts for making green choices, so it’s worth inquiring.
- Declutter Responsibly: Before embarking on your move, declutter your home. Instead of discarding items, consider donating, recycling, or selling them. This not only reduces the volume of items you’ll be moving but also minimizes waste.
- Choose Eco-Friendly Firms: Seek out removal companies in the UK that prioritize sustainable practices. This could range from using biofuel or electric vehicles to offering eco-friendly packing solutions or even planting trees for every move they complete.
- Plan Efficient Routes: If you’re hiring a ‘man with a van’ service, discuss the most efficient route to minimize fuel consumption and emissions. Modern GPS tools often have eco-routing options, ensuring the shortest and most fuel-efficient path.
By making these eco-friendly choices during your move, you’re not only ensuring the safety of your possessions but also taking a step towards a more sustainable future.